Saturday, September 17, 2011

Enrichment

Hola, mi nombre es la Sra. Bell y yo no hablo español muy bien...

So why the heck did a woman come into my classroom inquiring about what I plan on teaching during the Spanish enrichment class that my principal signed me on to do once a week for an hour?

Oh, I never mentioned that? Don't get me wrong. I took four years of Spanish in high school and was in the Spanish Honor Society for my abilities to speak and write in Spanish. But I don't speak it fluently. AT. ALL! I know the basics: the alphabet, how to count, conjugation, colors, basic verbs and nouns, etc. The lady spoke Spanish to me (fluently) and I could understand her; but could I answer her entirely in Spanish? Absolutely not!

So what am I doing on a Saturday night? I'm looking up songs in Spanish. Reading about how to teach kids from Kindergarten through 3rd grade Spanish in a fun way that isn't just paper and pencil. Researching books I can go and borrow from the library. Figuring out whether or not I should speak Spanish fluently or teach in English in the same way I learned (only with more songs). Because there is one thing that I got out of talking with the lady who knocked on my door and that is that if I don't do what I'm doing right now I am totally screwed!

No comments:

Post a Comment