Monday, November 7, 2011

Four day week

Most teachers would be thrilled at a four day week.

I know what you're thinking, wait a second, isn't this newest blog supposed to be about the field trip? I'll get to that sometime this week, I promise.

Anyhow, back to this four day work week...While I am thrilled and delighted I get a Friday off to do with whatever I please I am NOT so happy about the fact that my already limited (by half an hour) teaching time in language arts is going away for one day. I'm supposed to cram five days worth of instruction (at two hours each day) into four days worth and one and a half hours each day! GAH!

On top of all this I want to get guided reading groups done; read stories aloud (I'm sure I haven't mentioned my shock and dismay at learning that my kids haven't heard of the modern classic tales of "Where the Wild Things Are", "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" - the book version, NOT the movie, "Officer Buckle and Gloria", among many others, I know, I could seriously bring in Daniel's whole home library and only a few will have read any of them before I read it to them! - I digress); and I expect my kids to take their accelerated reader (AR) tests because, let's face it, some of them have intentionally been skipping taking them because they think I'm not paying attention, but I am!

I would like to get another chapter in math knocked out too, on addition strategies, so that I can move onto subtraction strategies...and I'm having a hard time with this whole math series because I can see that a lot of my kids have these tips and tricks up their sleeves already while some definitely need the help...and by some I mean four kids...

I'm starting a new topic in science after a successful showing of my kids (10 got As, two of whom got perfect scores, 3 got Bs, 1 got a C - and not even the kid you think!!!).

AND this week kicks off my second and third graders campaign to help some needy families in Northfield by hosting a food drive. Speaking of which, I should probably put my donation in already...

So, four day school week? Any other time of year I would welcome you with open arms and my body would thank you...but this week you are just a pain!

Until next time - Novice Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment